The Auburn Sewerage District is a quasi-municipal utility providing sewer collection services to over 5,300 residential, commercial, and industrial customers located within the City of Auburn. All waste is conveyed to the Lewiston-Auburn Water Pollution Control Authority (LAWPCA), located in Lewiston on the banks of the Androscoggin River. LAWPCA is the licensed authority that treats all public sanitary waste generated in Lewiston and Auburn.
To collect and transport the sewerage waste generated in Auburn, the Sewer District operates and maintains 23 wastewater pump stations, over 2,000 manholes, and 135 miles of pipe ranging from 4″ to 54″ in diameter. All waste is transported to the LAWPCA facility by gravity flow through a series of inverted siphon pipes located beneath the Androscoggin River.
Sewer collection mains convey the wastewater to several large diameter gravity interceptors that connect to the siphon pipes. Pump stations are scattered about the City in localized low-lying areas, such as along Taylor Pond and the airport, to collect and pump the wastewater to the gravity collection system.
The Auburn Sewerage District was formally organized by a Charter granted by the Maine Legislature in 1919. The fiscal and operational decisions of the District are made by a seven-member Board of Trustees that is appointed by the Mayor of the City of Auburn and the Auburn City Council. The Trustee meetings are open to the public and are tentatively scheduled to take place at 4:00 PM every third Tuesday of the month at the District office building at 268 Court Street.